Monday, November 15, 2010

so excited about thanksgiving.

blakey & i have an unbelievable amount of things to be thankful for this year.  maybe that is why i am so darn excited about thanksgiving.

maybe it is also because my mother-in-law & father-in-law are coming to birmy.  maybe it is because our dearest birmingham friends, amy & ogden, & their adorable puppy, lola, {aka tanky's new girlfriend.  sorry, fin!} will be joining in our festivities.  maybe it is because i am "in charge" of cooking for the first time ever AND have actually been learning how to cook.

or maybe it is just because i like celebrations.


this will be fun - i am going to pose some thanksgiving-y questions & answer them AND i hope you will too!!  all of you!

1. what dish are you expected to bring to thanksgiving each year?

my dish is the pecan pie.  it is a fabulous combination of a homemade pie crust {yum!}, my grandmother's pecan pie recipe {big yum!}, & my sister and my topping creation.  & of course some homemade whipped cream.

2. what dish do you have to eat every year at thanksgiving?

green bean casserole.  nothing fancy here - don't give me fresh haricot verts.  don't give me a homemade sauce.  don't give me a special crunchy topping.  i want canned green beans, campbell's cream of mushroom soup, & french's fried onions.  every.single.year.

3. what new dish are you looking forward to this year?

in addition to my first ever attempt at making a turkey {terrified!}, we are trying out quite a few new dishes this year - bobby flay's macaroni & cheese carbonara, paula deen's layered cranberry sauce, the pioneer woman's buttery rolls, & pumpkin ginger cupcakes!

4. what is your favorite thanksgiving tradition?

for as long as i can remember, my sister & i get to make wishes on the wishbone.  a couple years ago, i wished that blakey & i would get engaged soon.  & a month later he proposed!

julie byrd - we're going to have to figure something out this year.

5. for what are you thankful?

blakey & i have had the most amazing & blessed year...  from the obvious of getting to marry my best friend... blakey getting into a phenomenal residency program with wonderful people in a city far neater than i had ever thought the south could be... meeting fabulous people in birmy & making new friends... all of our wonderful & amazing friends & family that we still love dearly...  my tanky finally learning to be an awesome dog... super fun travels all over the world... my fan-freakin-tastic job at a coffee shop... pastry school... friends' weddings & engagements & graduations...

to the smaller but equally beautiful days like a snow-filled christmas morning... a ton of delicious food... a sooner win over the longhorns... learning to make a pretty mean latte... a bachelorette party beyond words... a breathtaking sunset over the ocean... a jam session in a tour bus on the vegas strip... monday night baking... blakey getting home from a month in japan on my 25th birthday...

happy thanksgiving time.  remember you are so blessed.

love love,
kjp.

4 comments:

  1. Favorite blog ever...
    1. If i'm going anywhere but your house, I am to bring Kendall's pecan pie.
    2. Turkey & dressing. Everything else is optional!
    3. everything you listed!
    4. Starting after Halloween, we would turn the Halloween tree into a Thanksgiving tree, and every night the boys would write something they were thankful for on a construction paper leaf and hang it on the tree. The tree was full by Thanksgiving. Saved them all and hang up my favorites every year now. Priceless.
    5. My wonderful daughter-in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can cook a turkey you can!!!! I cheated and used those oven bags. Throw in some onions and spices and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. !. Something that I will eat. Thanksgiving is greatly meat-based, so I try to come up with a delicious, crowd-pleasing vegetable dish.
    2. Buttery Rolls. Does that count as a dish?
    3. Brunch at my mom's. It will be a whole new meal!
    4. Ditto. Maybe you and Blake will have to carry on the tradition and Ben and I will also. Our families grew so the tradition grows? When we are together again on this holiday, we will be sure to take it up again.
    5. the internet to stay in touch when we move apart. . .happiness and health throughout my family. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. this might have to do for you and julie this year....


    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wishbone/id307537261?mt=8

    ReplyDelete