Monday, November 26, 2012

my family's recipes.


my sister gave us the best housewarming gift when we moved into our new home this summer - framed recipe cards handwritten by my grandmother, mom, & my sister too!  each recipe is my favorite dish from each person.

my grandmother's recipe is one of her famous christmas candies - peanut butter balls.  i can remember eating these bites of delight all through my childhood.  we would be sitting in her living room with all of this adult talk & my grandmother would lean over, ever so quietly, & ask if i wanted a candy.  yes!  of course!  it is the most delicious bite goodness.  & it's hanging on my kitchen wall.


every birthday for as long as i can remember, my mom & i have the same conversation: she asks what i want to eat for my birthday dinner, & every year, the answer is her homemade lasagna!  a couple of years ago, i saw in my baby book that, for my first birthday party, my mom made everyone her lasagna.  it's tradition!  & it is so incredibly good.  the best lasagna in the world.


one of julie & my favorite food memories happened when she was off to college & called me one evening to tell me about the delicious dinner she made for herself.  she loved it & wanted to name it, so she told me all of the ingredients she added to her pasta salad.  in my oh-so-wonderful teen bop bratty voice, i replied "really yucky pasta salad."  & in all of julie's wonderfulness & patience for my bratty self, the name stuck!  we made it all the time when we lived together in college & she was teaching me to cook.  so "really yucky pasta salad" is our favorite recipe.


& now my three favorite recipes from the three most amazing women in my life are hanging in my kitchen bringing me so much joy each day.

love love,
kjp.

No comments:

Post a Comment